Background

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Working the Deals at Family Dollar




We are so lucky here in Southeastern NC to have so many wonderful stores to choose from. Competition is key in making sure that consumers get great prices and deals. 


I do know that some of my readers are in areas where grocery stores do not double coupons; that is a shame but great deals can still be had.


One place that is often overlooked is Family Dollar. It is a national dollar store chain but not in the traditional sense. Not everything costs $1.00 and they have many name brand products for sale at good prices. In addition, they do take manufacturer's coupons. They will take up to two coupons per item, provided that one coupon is a manufacturer's coupon and one is a store coupon. They will not accept two manufacturer's coupon for one item. They explain their policy very clearly on their web page here. Family Dollar does not address any sort of limit on the number of coupons that you can use in general. So for example, if you wanted to buy ten packs of diapers and you had ten manufacturer diaper coupons, I presume you could use all ten. They also have coupons available for print on their website, at http://www.familydollar.com/pages/printable-coupons.aspx

Even better is that once or twice a month, they also put $5 off $25 purchase coupons in their store flyer. Note that the $5 off $25 is only found in the Sunday newspaper flyer (occasionally they send it in the mail). If you look for this $5 coupon in the store, you will not find it, so you have to have it ahead of time. Here's a secret- the $5 off $25 coupon is also available for you to print on their website here.


This week Family Dollar had some awesome sales PLUS there was that $5 off $25 coupon inside the flyer. One sale I noticed is Heinz Ketchup (fairly big bottle) for $1.50. After $.50 off coupon from the Sunday newspaper, this makes the ketchup only $1.00. If I'm not mistaken, that is the same price as Harris Teeter this week after the coupon doubles there.

I did a good deal there this week on Luvs Diapers. They were not on sale (if they had been, my deal would have been even better). I needed diapers, however, and I know they are decently priced at Family Dollar, so even though they weren't on sale, I decided to go for it. When I arrived, I was surprised to find $1.00 off LUVS coupons sitting on the shelf! Even better is that they were manufacturer's coupons, so I could either use them at Family Dollar or take them to another store when they go on sale elsewhere.

I decided to buy 4 packs. This is how the deal worked out for me:

4 Packs of LUVS at $7.50 each- $30
4 LUVS coupons for $1.00 each- minus $4
Total so far: $26
Use my $5 off $25 purchase coupon= $21

So I paid $21 plus tax for four packs of diapers (that is $5.25 a pack).

That's a pretty good deal- not the best deal I've ever gotten but certainly better than the usual price. Also, I compared the price to Sams Club and it turns out that the price per diaper is EXACTLY the same! At both stores it is $.15 per diaper. Keep in mind, though, that at Family Dollar there are no membership fees and you can also use VISA credit card (don't know if that matters to some people- I know SAMS doesn't accept VISA credit cards, only VISA debit). I haven't checked WalMart's price on size 4 LUVS, but if you know it, fill me in. I am betting it's higher than the deal I got at Sams Club.

This is a great week to check out Family Dollar, due to the coupon and to the many Memorial Day Sales they had in their flyer. This week, all charcoal is Buy one get one half off; Gain, Tide, Bounty Basic and Bounty are $5, Hefty Trash Bags are 2 for $5, Pepsi Product 12 packs are $2.50 each (with store coupon) and Soft Soap Body Wash is 2 for $5. There are also some clothing sales, too, like buy two get third for $1. Keep in mind that you can still use coupons plus the $5 off $25 on these prices to bring down your total. These sales are available through Monday, May 28th.


Shopping at Family Dollar can be fun and economical! Check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment