Background

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

How I Got an almost FREE Turkey from Food Lion!


Waiting until the last minute paid off for me today, as I was able to take advantage of two deals that Food Lion was running this week and put them both together to equal an almost FREE turkey!

I had to combine two promotions to make it work, but they were both easy to do.


Food Lion Promo Number One:

This week (through Thursday night) at Food Lion, if you buy $35 worth of products, you can get special pricing on a FROZEN Jennie-O turkey. Instead of the regular price, you can get it for $.47 a pound. That's a SUPER good deal.


Food Lion Promo Number Two:
If you buy $15 worth of Unilver Products, you will get $5 off any turkey purchase in the store, whatever brand.

If you buy $30 worth of Unilver Products, you will get $10 off any turkey purchase in the store, whatever brand.
The discount comes off automatically at the register.


In case you didn't know, Unilever makes products such as Ragu, Knorr Pasta and Rice Sides, Dove, Skippy, Hellmans, and many more. See the Food Lion ad to see which products qualify.


So, I combined both promos in order to get the free turkey. What I did was:

I bought $35 worth of products inside of Food Lion, some groceries that I needed and also some things that I needed for my Thanksgiving Dinner, such as sweetened condensed milk, French's Onions (had coupons for both), some ham for my son's Kindergarten Thanksgiving Party (Deli Ham is on sale right now at Food Lion for $3.98 per pound), ground beef, and other random things that I needed.


I then did the $15 worth of Unilever items promotion. I bought 15 Knorr Pasta and Rice Sides (on sale for $1.00 each) and since they counted towards the promotion, I got $5 off my turkey.

Well, my almost 12 pound turkey, which was originally $19.03, was discounted to $5.39 since I spent $35 inside of Food Lion.

Then, I got $5.00 off of it, since I bought the Unilever products! This made the turkey only $.39!!!! I tried to find a smaller turkey so that I could get it for free, but the one I got was one of the smallest. Anyhow, $.39 for a turkey is still a great deal!


This only works if you can manage to find some Unilever products that you actually would use. There are several to choose from. My kids like the Knorr Pasta and Rice sides and they are good when I need to whip up a quick side item. Sometimes I throw chicken breast in with the pasta or rice to make it more of a meal, so I didn't mind buying 15 of them since they were on sale anyways.

I'm glad Food Lion did this deal this year because in years past they did the thing where you could get a free turkey if you bought a certain amount of groceries every week. I never did that because that was so hard to keep up with, plus I don't normally shop Food Lion each week. This year's offer was certainly better!


One last tip- it's only the FROZEN Jennie-O turkeys that count for the $.47 per pound, so be sure to get in there and get it today or early tomorrow because you will still have to thaw it before it cooks!


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment