Background

Friday, August 3, 2012

Surprising Items that are Included in Tax-Free Weekend


I'm not sure what compelled me to click on the NC Department of Revenue's website to read exactly which items are included in the tax-free weekend but when I did, I was surprised about some of the items that qualify:


Diapers
Costumes (except the mask part)
Wedding Apparel (except for rentals)
Garter Belts
Foot Insoles
Dance Wear (such as leotards and tights)
Ballet and tap shoes
Sports apparel and equipment
Goggles
Roller Skates
Life Vests


Oddly, E-readers are not technically computers, so they are not included. I would argue that they are certainly educational, but they do not count as a tax-free item here.


Clothing accessories are also not included.


I plan to grab diapers from CVS this tax-free weekend (see my post about the great deal there this week), and maybe some clothes for my children and baby that I'm expecting. However, I don't intend to go too crazy because really, it's only 7%. That's $7 for every $100 I spend. When combined with a really great sale, along with store coupons, I do think there is an opportunity to save good money. 


For instance, I plan to go to Kohls. They will have items on sale plus they sent me a $10 off $10 purchase coupon that they mailed me. In addition, they sent me an extra savings card where I get 20% off my total purchase, too! That, in addition to the tax savings will compel me to check out Kohls.


Also, keep in mind that local resale shops are also participating and I think there could be nice savings there as well.

Tax free weekend runs all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday until 11:59 p.m.


Let me know what kinds of deals you encounter this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment